Sunday, October 14, 2007

Grief Dancers by Susan Zimmermann

Bridget gave me a book to read.

I am about 100 pages in and I am amazed at the honesty Susan uses in her writing. She is the mom of a Rett Syndrome daughter and shares her thoughts and feelings with us.

The back cover states "Grief Dancers is a soul-searching journey through grief, loss, hope, anger, and despair to a place of unconditional love and acceptance." "Susan reminds us that it is not what happens to us that determines our life, but how we respond to it."
I am sure I will have more to say regarding this book.....but I just wanted to mention that I am reading it.

OK......I am updating this post because I finished the book. I could not put it down. It took me through a roller coaster of emotions. It did help me to read about another mom's struggles with this horrible disease.

I do feel that we have different thoughts/outlooks because of faith. She does not believe there is an afterlife. I live BECAUSE there is a God with an amazing afterlife, waiting on us. It is my faith in God and Heaven that gets me through the hard days. Knowing that one day My little girl will no longer be a "silent angel" but an angel with our Lord that will be able to talk and walk and dance and sing. I know one day my little girl will hug me back and tell me she loves me.

Until then, I do agree with the back cover; our lives will be "a soul searching journey through grief, loss, hope, anger and despair to a place of unconditional love and acceptance." Many of you reading this are part of that journey. Thank you for crying with me during the grief as well as cheering and laughing with us through the joy!




5 comments:

Casdok said...

Sounds an interesting book.
Thank you for the comment on my blog, i fully understand how it feels when people say things like that.
You do harden up to it a bit, or rather you get better at putting on a front!

shannon said...

I love you, Kel! I'm honored to be part of that journey with you and Charlie and Brooklyn.

Anonymous said...

Brookie will always be our angel with us here on earth!

Anonymous said...

K & C,

I don't know how people cope with this world without an assurance of the life to come. (Well, some don't, and they make the six o'clock news each night.)

May your trip to Houston be rewarding and fruitful in every way. Keep loving this darling and precious little granddaughter as we do!

Love to you all,

George and Margie

Rebecca said...

I have not read this one yet, but I read "Keeping Katherine" right after Caitlyn was diagnosed. I could really relate to the denial and feelings hopeless. It was a good book to read, but I don't think I could read it now where we are on our journey. I keep meaning to pick up "Writing to Heal the Soul."