Friday, July 15, 2011

Feeding Tube Surgery

Wednesday was Brooklyn's feeding tube surgery day. For those of you who follow my blog you know that this has been a decision a long time in coming. Brooklyn has aways been a little peanut but she really is underweight these days and after a tough winter of sickness we knew it was time. Brooklyn did great as we waited for know how it goes, you are there for a couple of hours before the procedure. We took her portable dvd player and snuggled until it was time.

They got her all hooked up....the longer we waited the more "over it" she was....never any tears though - more of a "lets get this over" attitude!
Surgery only lasted about a half an hour - it went smooth. We had some trauma in recovery unfortunately because they needed a urine sample (as a follow up to an earlier abnormal test) They were to get the sample immediately after surgery while she was still "out" However, a nurse "forgot" and my poor baby who was trying to come out of anesthesia wakes up to five nurses holding her down to cath her.....needless to say I went in to complete "mama bear" mode and let them have it. I know that doesn't change anything - but I sure felt better. The good thing is that once we were out of recovery and onto the peds floor things went much better.
There was time for lots of cuddle time with my little girl.
She was admitted for 24 hour observation which is pretty standard for this type of surgery. We needed to bolus/gravity feed her a few times as well as experience an overnight/pump feed before she could be released.
We did hit a brief "rough patch" when we attempted the pump feed. The formula just would not go down into the button. Of course the nurses tried all their "troubleshooting" tricks but had to call the surgeon who gave a list of possible problems ranging from dried blood blocking the tube or swelling from surgery to a malfunction of the button which would require an extended stay and possible additional was a stressful few hours but around midnight or one we were successful with the feed and could breathe a HUGE sigh of relief!

We are home now. She is doing really great - I still haven't seen much of that amazing Brooklyn smile yet but we are getting there. She is tolerating her tube feeds great and also is eating by mouth too - even had a Happy Meal for lunch.

Thank you all who follow this blog and pray constantly for me and the kiddos - you all mean so much to us! I will keep you up to ate on how she is doing I promise. I bet before long we will have a smiley Brookie picture posted!


Emilie said...

So glad everything went so well for Brooklyn! She is such a trooper, and adorable one at that! We continue to pray for her as she recovers and for you during the adjustment. Praying for Boston too, it can be tough with so much commotion...God blessed Brooklyn and Boston with a simply amazing mommy!


Anonymous said...

I just read you blog and think that you are an amazing mom. Brooklyn and Boston are so blessed to have you... I am so blessed to know that Brooklyn went through this so well, And so happy that you got the feeding down without having to go back in. God is so good. Still praying that she will just keep getting stronger and stronger. Can't wait to see her beautiful smile.. Hugs to you all!!!

Nathalie said...

I follow your blog and I am so glad Brooklyn is doing good. She is such an amazing little fighter and one of the best gifts from God you could ever ask for. I'm praying for Brooklyn and everyone else in your family.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly,

I am new to your blog. I don't believe in coincidences, because like you, I am also a Christ Believer. I am a mother of a little girl that also has all the symptoms that your beautiful Brooklyn has.

I know that it is hard to see your daughter go through so much. I know that it is hard to never hear her voice, or watch her walk and become 'normal'. But like my little one, yours is so special.

A. had a feeding tube from the time she was 1yrs old and we were able to take it off when she was 5yrs old. My husband disconnected her with our pediatrician's ok, and fed her ice cream of all things :) She swallowed and then we have been able to feed her every since.

A. does not walk or speak, but she is just the most animated child I have ever seen. She is a little peanut like Brooklyn. She is 12yrs old.

These children have been entrusted to us by Our Lord Kelly for His Plans. He is the one that orchestrates everything and makes sure that we can go through it all with His love and Grace.

She will begin to thrive at a rapid speed once you begin to tube feed her. A. gained quite a bit, but then she was on continuous feed. I also have a blog, but I don't blog about my little girl. My husband doesn't want me to, so I rarely mention her online.

She is my purpose and she has given me a reason to wake up in the morning. I have two more sons which I adore, they are older than A. teens really, so they are very protective of this little one.

Your support group is amazing. How blessed you must feel. Remember that Brooklyn knows what is happening around her. Her voice, like your son shared on a past post, is being held by Our Lord. A.'s voice is also there with Brooklyn' wonderful that one day they will get too meet :-D

Many blessings to you Kelly. May Our Lord continue to give you peace and fill you with His Strength.


Mariah said...

So glad it went well Kelly. I really hope your beautiful angel is feeling okay now. Brookie, Boston, and you are in my prayers! Hugs!